The Wooden Church of Budesti Josani
Historically, Budesti Josani was the Greek Catholic part of the village of Budesti, which was first mentioned in a document in 1361. One of the largest Romanian wooden churches, the church, which dates from 1643, is 18 meters long by 8 meters wide and features a 26 meters steeple, with four additional smaller turrets on each of its corners. The Budesti Josani church was beautifully painted in 1812 by Ianos Opris, a noted post Gothic artist, who also authored the centerpiece of the edifice, an icon depicting the “Coronation of the Virgin Mary”. History buffs should know that the church shelters the weapons and mail of the famous Romanian hero Pintea Viteazu.